Monday, October 7, 2019

No risk to the upside ... a condor I hadn't seen before

Hi All ... sorry I'm late with this post as I was busy with the trade automation project I'm working on (more about this below) much of this past weekend.

But the Navigation Trading guy put through a trade this past week that got my attention. SPX was around 2885 last Thursday the 2nd, having been sharply down during the day. So the trade came through like this:

SELL -1 IRON CONDOR SPX 100 (Weeklys) 9 OCT 19 2895/2900/2830/2800 CALL/PUT @6.60 LMT 

I saw this go buy and just thought, "hm, kind of close on the upside ..." then it hit me a few minutes later:

  • Max loss on the upside $5 ($2900 - $2895)
  • BUT $6.60 credit received
  • SO: max loss on the upside ... is a $1.60 (i.e. $160) profit!!
This is just what the doctor ordered:

... as SPX rocketed back up around 2950 the next day!

This trade only works this well with a little volatility in play (like now -- VIX closed 17.86 today) ... but a backtest since 2009 should show this Fabulously Profitable. You almost always either win small or win big ... probably only 5% of these trades should be losers ...

And once again: Navigation Trading available as a to-be-automated service and I can push these trades through for you 'by hand' in the interim. Details here.

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment