Sunday, August 4, 2019

S&P 500 down 3.1% ... our system down 0.17% ... and better poised for next week

This was a crazy week in the market ... First, The Federal Reserve cut interest rates:
But not enough, according to the markets, which went DOWN:
I was congratulating myself as I had entered a "put debit spread" on SPX just before the fed announcement: long the 3015 put and short the 3010 put, risking $200 to make $300 in the best case ... on the "buy the rumor, sell the news" theory ...

But then Thursday early the market regained all it had lost on Wednesday until:

... Trump announced a bunch more tariffs:

... making my SPX debit spread happy again, and getting all the other trades I have going in the right spot to be profitable again next week. (Not last week, as volatility increased ... and our trades profit by volatility going down ("short vega") ... or time going by with nothing happening ("positive theta") ...

As for the debit spread in SPX, risking 2 to make 3 ... I'd love to have more of these but I doubt they're really even a 50-50 shot ... so I won't make these part of the plan yet, just will do a bit more experimenting here and there.

Careful readers will recall I put on a debit spread in NFLX the other way last week ... but I closed it out even before all the excitement from Wednesday onward for just a small loss.

More next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment