Sunday, March 17, 2019

Disciplined trading (and luck!) yield excellent results (+12.44% this week)!

I had an excellent week this past week: all the earnings trades I put on won and the Fabulous NDX Trade returned to its former excellent performance ...



The discipline piece came into play on a MDB (MongoDB) earnings trade. I have been restricting myself to just the .08 delta short strike for these trades, only taking the .09 delta very occasionally when a .08 one doesn't show up. Anything closer in that this, I just skip.

MDB on the call side had just a .08 strike ... and then nothing else above that for me to do a limited risk trade, which I needed for my account to limit the buying power.

Well, I said to myself, I guess I can just focus on the put side ... which I did. I even thought of doubling up on it, but decided that was too much risk in one underlying ...

Another account I'm trading had enough buying power available to do a short strangle (undefined risk) at the .08 delta, the one on the call side being the 130 strike.

Look what happened:



Lucky me! My put spread was worthless where the short 130 call lost money. Still a profitable week for the person with the bigger account, but not as much ...

As for the NDX trade, it behaved as normally, closing at 7270 on Friday, well inside the one standard deviation short strikes I had: 7310 put on at 10am and 7290 at 12:30 or so (all times PST) ..

As far as putting the trade on later: it went back to its difficult-to-get-filled behavior I had been seeing, so I guess I'll have to continue to experiment with the timing and returns of these ...

But as an adjunct to the base of earnings trades, it's an excellent performer ...

More next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment