Sunday, March 3, 2019

Another mixed week (and spring didn't come yet)

First, my natural gas 5-day trade didn't work ...  It's not spring yet:


The snow is slowly melting but we still have plenty around.

I give up on short-term trades except for the one I'm dependent one: the "fabulous NDX" trade ... and now earnings trades, which I have been testing for a few weeks.

This week I went 13-3 ... I made tactical error in one the losers, BKNG, holding on to see if it would come back in the next day before expiration. It was already below both put strikes, but not yet showing max loss. It continued down the next day (expiration Friday the 1st) So I should have closed it out quickly, the way things turned out.

I think Tastyworks may have BKNG marked incorrectly in options liquidity. They have a 4-star ranking system, and BKNG gets only one star.

But on entry to the trade I had a limit price of 56 cents but got filled at 82 cents ... then when closing out on Friday a.m. I thought I'd have to give as much as 20 cents extra ... it was a 5-point-wide spread so should have collapsed to $5 nearing expiration. I put in the order for $5.20 ... and it was filled at $5.03! This is better than some allegedly more liquid underlyings have done ...

So: $86 - $503  ... a $417 loss. Annoying, but it could have been worse ... and I also could have closed it out for about 1/2 that loss the day before, darn it.

BBY and VMW were also losers, but smaller ones that I closed quickly.



This week we have earnings reports from Costco and Target ... more next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment