Saturday, February 16, 2019

A nearly perfect week (up 10.7%!) after switching to 0.08 delta earnings trades

I put on 17 earnings trades this past week without a loss!


The underlyings:

  • NVDA
  • PXD
  • CTL
  • EQIX
  • NTAP
  • YELP
  • CSCO
  • BFAM
  • TEVA
  • OXY
  • AKAM
  • ATVI
  • TRIP
  • UA
  • RE
  • SHOP
  • MOH
There were almost all at the 0.08 short delta, with a few at the 0.10 delta when there was no bid at the .08 delta.

I had said previously I wasn't interested in doing anything herculean to "scratch" an undefined trade gone wrong, and that's still true. But I did start putting on undefined risk trades in lower priced ($35 or less) underlyings where the margin per contract is around $300. This I could afford to lose without doing anything but closing out and going on to the next one.

I did trade an Iron Condor (i.e. defined risk) on NVDA, which was quite volatile (therefore paid pretty well even for a defined risk trade, around 10% ... of which we took half, so just over 5% on an overnight trade: not bad!

Overall this plus the NDX trade, discussed momentarily ... gave us an up 10.7% week on the main account we were trading this strategy.

As for NDX ... I made the change I discussed a few weeks ago, putting this on closer to 1pm PST close of trading instead of the 9:45 a.m. PST I had been using.

Unfortunately, this made only about 1/4 of the profit that it would have if expiring worthless ... NDX was going higher Friday morning and closed I guess around 7078 where my short strike was 7075. This was the only glitch in an otherwise perfect week.

I say "I guess" because CBOE or CME or whoever's in charge of it has apparently stopped publishing NDS, the daily settlement value that the NDX a.m. settlement is based on. Tastyworks certainly has it, though they don't publish it on their UI.

This is just a minor aggravation ... what  I really enjoy about earnings trades is the fact that they're OVER overnight. I don't typically get up at 6:30 when the market opens, but when I do get up and look at my phone and see the Tastyworks app has informed me that I got 6 fills on the 6 (closing) trades I had on, well wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment