Sunday, October 14, 2018

S&P 500 down 4.5%; your virtual $200,000 account + 0.1%

Finishing up the butterflies that were a drag on futures results limited our gains this past week, but the S&P tanked Wednesday and Thursday and we didn't get any of that on us.


A couple of the butterflies we had on continued to hurt results; I am mostly giving up on these and going to short strangles (on futures only) and iron condors with wide strikes.


Futures options pay better than equities, and the diversified bunch of trades I had on after Wednesday's sharp down move wasn't bothered at all:


So: I'll keep on a widely diversified bunch of futures options trades: strangles if I can afford them and otherwise iron condors with wide wings. I'll add an occasional equity trade as well, favoring those that are highly volatile (and therefore which pay better!) I plan to keep around 75% of my futures-enabled accounts in play (not all them are ... the IRAs don't get futures and futures options until later this year on Tastyworks. For those I still limit exposure to 30-40%.)

And one week of every four ...

This is "expiration week" when the Fabulous a.m. settled NDX trade is available Thursday and Friday. I'm going to hit it hard this week, as it should make about 20% on margin (while risking not much more than that, given 75-point wide wings on the iron condor) ... since over time this trade has shown a 91.7% win rate, the only wish I have for it is that i could do it every week, like in the good old days of earlier this year!

More next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment